It’s a common question for parents to ask, “If I want to change the behavior in my child, what approach is best — the carrot or the stick? Should I use rewards or punishment?”
In David Cerullo’s book, God’s Answers for Your Times of Trouble, he suggests a better alternative — to ask God to handle the matter for you! Why not take it to the Lord in prayer?
Following are 10 specific things to use as a guideline as you lift your voice to Him:
- Pray that you will raise your family according to God’s principles.
This is also good advice for grandparents as they nurture their grandchildren.
- Pray that you will effectively teach God’s Word to your children.
Passing on your faith to your children or grandchildren is not a mere event, but rather a lifestyle you should choose to live. Reflect your love for God in everything you do.
- Pray that your children will walk in truth.
In the life of your family, you must love what is honest and true.
- Pray that your sons and daughters will find Christ.
Just as Paul wrote to young Timothy in 2 Timothy 3:15, it is up to you to give the wisdom that leads to salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.
- Pray that you will honor and respect every member of your family.
Strong families are built on love, trust, and consideration for one another.
- Pray that you will speak with kindness.
Make certain your words and actions add up — especially in your household. Ask for God’s help to live with integrity.
- Pray that you will be an example of love.
Remember, it’s what you do, not what you say, that will impact your family the most.
- Pray for a spirit of forgiveness.
You serve a God of grace and mercy, so you must emulate Him if you are going to create a home that is a haven for your family and guests.
- Pray that God will bring harmony to your home.
Ask the Lord to use you as an instrument of healing and unity in your home.
- Pray that God will bless your family.
The Bible tells you that the Lord will pour out His Spirit on your children
(Isaiah 44:3). Ask Him, and you will receive!
If your heart is heavy because of a broken relationship or a conflict within your family that can’t seem to be resolved, let the Holy Spirit be your Counselor and guide.
Lift your voice to Him in prayer. Place the problem at the foot of the Cross, believing by faith that Jesus will answer!
Share the information found on the link below with
anyone who might need to strengthen their relationship with the Lord.