Have you ever struggled to find victory in a situation, even though you were trying to stand on the promises of God? This was exactly the situation faced by the men of Judah when they tried to defeat the Jebusites:
As for the Jebusites, the inhabitants of Jerusalem, the children of Judah could not drive them out; but the Jebusites dwell with the children of Judah at Jerusalem to this day (Joshua 15:63).
Other tribes had similar struggles. For example, Ephraim “did not drive out the Canaanites” (Joshua 16:10), and Manasseh faced Canaanites who “were determined to dwell in that land” (Joshua 17:12).
Why were these enemies so hard to defeat?
The Bible gives us clues when we examine the meaning of the names of the people in the land. “Canaanite” comes from a word that means “to bend the knee, to humiliate.” This represents people who dominate the culture and who appear to hold the upper hand.
“Jebusite” is from a word that means “trodden or threshing place.” This stands for the status quo—people who seem entrenched and invincible.
Both the Canaanites and the Jebusites symbolize people, institutions, or spiritual forces that try to keep us from victory in our daily lives. They help to illustrate why many Christians believe in God, attend church, read the Bible, and pray, yet seem unable to experience victory in their finances, health, relationships, emotions, and spiritual lives. Perhaps they have unwittingly allowed the “Jebusites” and “Canaanites” of the world to overwhelm and discourage them.
Friend, in order to find victory over your difficult enemies today, you must make sure your eyes are fixed on Jesus instead of on your problems (Hebrews 12:2). Refusing to be distracted or sidetracked, you will need a firm resolve to seek God’s will for your life and obey His instructions. No matter what kind of craziness may be swirling around you, you must believe that God’s promises are true and that He will accomplish what He has promised.
Specific Steps to Victory
I’ve found that when I face a difficult battle in my own life, it’s helpful to return to some basic principles for overcoming the enemy:
- Quit relying on your own strength. Realize that victory only comes through the power of the Holy Spirit and what Jesus and His blood have accomplished for you.
- Repent and cry out to God. Turn away from any sins, and run into the arms of your loving Father, Savior, and Deliverer. Ask Him to forgive you and deliver you from any lies or strongholds of the enemy. Then don’t look back!
- Be accountable. Surround yourself with solid believers to lean on for prayer and support during any struggles.
- Passionately pursue God. Make an all-out commitment to spend time with Jesus and get to know Him intimately. Press into His Word and His presence until He’s your everything.
- Fight the good fight. Remember: There’s a fierce spiritual battle for your soul (Ephesians 6:10-18). The devil is a thief and a liar, and he wants you to be defeated and destroyed (John 10:10). You must stand in the victory Jesus has already won for you. Defend it, stand on it, and walk in it!
Friend, you don’t have to accept defeat today. Instead, renew your faith in God, and keep pressing on until you are victorious. No matter what enemies you may be facing, the One who lives in you is greater (1 John 4:4)!
Ben Cerullo has been named by Charisma Magazine as one of the “30 Emerging Voices” who will lead the church in the next decade. His ministry carries a powerful anointing and prophetic message. Traveling extensively, both domestically and internationally, he has spoken in more than 27 nations. God continues to use him to reach people with the Gospel, confirming His Word with signs following.
If you would like one of our anointed prayer ministers to support you as you lift your voice in prayer, please click on the link below.
US / Canada:
UK / International:
+44 (0) 84 5683 0584
Be inspired and encouraged by this wonderful story exclusively on our 24/7 Christian network, Inspiration TV and our new Video on Demand (VOD). You can watch our powerful programming on either Roku, Apple TV, Amazon Fire, Chromecast, via livestream at ini.tv/livestream, or on the Inspiration TV mobile app — click here for all the ways to watch!